We are delighted to share a Lower School Blog, intended to be a resource for parents, faculty, and staff -- including a variety of educational and parenting articles, book reviews and research, as well as some links to school-related and Lower School activities. We hope you’ll enjoy it.

EchoAge and Other Better Ways to Do Birthday Presents


EchoAge and Other Better Ways to Do Birthday Presents

KJ Dell’Antonia

Like many of you, I suspect, I’ve long felt a little empty inside when I see the giant pile of presents awaiting children at birthday parties they host for their friends.
The wrapping (and the waste). The books they already have. The stuff they didn’t want or that they use only once before it ends up in the garbage or a giveaway box somewhere. Parents spend time and money picking these things out, but our efforts may not amount to much even with the best of intentions.
So I was thrilled when I first stumbled on EchoAge, an invitation service that handles the gifts too. Parents of invited guests hand over some money online, and EchoAge divides the accumulated pile in half. After the company takes a 4.9 percent cut, the birthday kid gets half the money to spend on a meaningful gift and picks a charity to receive the other half.
As someone who defines my newspaper beat as beating the system, EchoAge’s promise pushes every one of my pleasure buttons. Parents avoid shopping for dozens of parties each year and may get a tax deduction for the charitable portion of the gift. Birthday boys and girls get a decent-sized present that they truly covet. Birthday parents can lead a meaningful family discussion about charitable causes that are important to the child. And the recycling bin doesn’t overflow with wrapping paper. Everybody wins, right?
I finally got to test the answer to that question recently when my daughter turned 8 and was game to put the service through its paces as part of her slumber party. She was in the middle of a sea creatures curriculum at school, so she chose to give money to the World Society for the Protection of Animals. The remaining money went toward her first-ever iTunes purchases and the repainting of her room, which she’s covering herself since it’s a “want” and not a “need.”
I found the invitation-generating software to be at least as intuitive as other services I’ve used in the past, so I had no problem there. And the notifications and movement of money were glitch-free.
Two things gave me pause, though. First, I was surprised to discover that I could see how much the guests’ parents had contributed. This wasn’t information I wanted to know, and it made me feel a little funny to look.
But of course I looked, and once I did, I was surprised at the generosity. People were contributing more than we typically would spend on a party gift. Was this because it was a small party and these were parents of our daughter’s closest friends, so they were inclined to do a bit more? Or did they feel guilted into giving more money by the charitable angle and didn’t want to feel like they were shortchanging our daughter either?
On the transparency front, it turns out there’s a box I could have unchecked while setting up the party that would have blocked the individual amounts. (The guests never see what others are giving.) I never saw that box, and the company co-founder, Debbie Zinman, said that she would see about making it more prominent. She added, however, that many parents have a different response entirely. “They want to see what everyone gave so they know what to give themselves,” she said.
As for the guilt, Alison Smith, the other co-founder, doesn’t see it that way. “Some people give what they give, and that’s what they do,” she said. “And then those who are touched by the idea of a child choosing a charity that means something to them — that’s a good reason to potentially give more.” She added that with this service, she and Ms. Zinman had actually hoped to level the playing field, so that kids weren’t arriving with gifts of different sizes.
All of this has worked well enough that over 15,000 parties have been held via EchoAge since its launch in 2008. The founders heard from enough jealous parents that they’re now opening the platform to any sort of party, including 40th birthdays to which children are not invited. It will also be possible to push 100 percent of the gift money to charity.
We would use the service again without hesitation now that we know which boxes to check and uncheck, though when I ran the EchoAge concept by the people in my Facebook community, there was more of a mixed reaction. It is awfully pecuniary, after all, though to me that’s a good thing as children begin to learn what things cost and how to make tradeoffs. The charity component need not be outsourced either; a child could ask for books or canned food to give away in lieu of (or in addition to) gifts.
Some families also go the your-presence-is-our-present route. My experience with that, however, has generally been that somebody always forgets and brings a gift anyway or ignores the instructions altogether. Awkwardness ensues.