We are delighted to share a Lower School Blog, intended to be a resource for parents, faculty, and staff -- including a variety of educational and parenting articles, book reviews and research, as well as some links to school-related and Lower School activities. We hope you’ll enjoy it.

"Can a Daughter with Dyslexia Learn to Love Words?"

June 12, 2012

Can a Daughter With Dyslexia Learn to Love Words?

My heart has been heavy recently with a sense of loss. I’m grieving, but over something that hasn’t actually been taken — and perhaps won’t ever be completely lost at all.
Last summer, our first-grade daughter was diagnosed with dyslexia – a neurological disorder that affects your ability to read and write. But my pain has little to do with a label or a disability. In fact, the emptiness I’m trying to fill by writing these words is exactly what is creating the void.
I’m a mother (as of a little over nine years ago). But, I’ve been a writer – a lover of words – since the day I learned to read.
As I watch my little girl struggle to learn her alphabet, phonics and reading skills that came so naturally to me, a fear takes root. As a person who is enticed by words, by weaving them into paragraphs, a story, a plea – I cannot imagine how it would feel not to be able to read well and, more important, to write well.

Read more ... http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/can-a-daughter-with-dyslexia-learn-to-love-words/